9.25.2012

Cinnamon Rolls


I've been wanting to make this amazing recipe, these delicious rolls since many weeks ago... and I was afraid of the outcome. Why? Because I have never used yeast before. I was afraid to use it. And man, I had already bought it. I just didn´t want to use it, I don't know. Weird me. Ok, let's go to business. I checked many recipes and fell in love with Ree's, so I used it and halved it.
I used:
For the rolls
  • 500 mL whole milk
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2.25 tsp active dry yeast 
  • 4 + 0.5 cups AP flour
  • 1 heaping tsp baking powder
  • 1 scant tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 heaping tbsp salt
  • 1 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 cup butter, cut in 1/2" slices
  • 1 cup sugar
  • generous sprinkling of cinnamon
For the glaze
  • 2 lb (1 bag) powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/4 cup brewed coffee
  • 1/2 tsp salt




For the rolls
Place milk, olive oil, and sugar in a medium saucepan.


Place over medium heat to just below a boil.


Set aside and cool to warm -about an hour. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let it sit on the milk for 1 minute.


Add 4 cups flour.


Stir until just combined, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and set aside in a relatively warm place for 1 hour. 


Ok, the directions say that. My dough was not rising, so I left it in he fridge overnight. Is lifted a little bit more. Not quite doubled-sized. 


When ready to continue working, add baking powder...


Baking soda...


salt and remaining 1/2 cup flour....


Sprinkle flour in your working area.


Melt butter -1 cup.


Now, bring the dough to the floured area and start kneading, make a shape of an almost rectangle.


Roll it with a rolling pin until you can make it look more than a rectangle than I did.


Now, top with melted butter. Let it drop on the sides, it's ok.


Use your clean fingers to distribute the butter on the top of the dough.



Add sugar -1cup.


Sprinkle lots of cinnamon. Look at that mess!!!! I love mess =)


Now, start rolling by the long side. Start from the far side of you to the near you =) I hope I explained it ok. Try to keep it thight.


Pinch the seams so the "log" is closed.


In an aluminium foil, place a square of butter.


Spread the butter all over!


And start cutting "slices" (1/2-1/4in) of the log and placing them in the foil. I olvy got two foils. The recipe calls for around 4, and circled (mine are rectangles) so I guess mine are bigger and have more rolls.



Let them rise for about 1.5 hours.



Heat oven to 375°F. Bake the for 15-18 minutes, until slightly golden.

For the glaze
In the meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, add the glaze ingredients.


Whisk together until you get a thick sauce.


Remove the rolls from the oven. They look amazing, don't they???




Now, top each rolls foil sheet with half the glaze.


And enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment