8.23.2012

Light Lasagna {Pasta Free}


So, after eating pretty much the same for many weeks.. ok, I'm exagerating a little. I've not been eating the same, but I'm sick of fish (I stopped eating fish like a month ago) and I'm starting to get sick of grilled chicken =( soooooo I decided to design different recipes that I could eat for my diet. So here comes one of them. This was totally an experiment... a success if I may add! I was a little worried that it would taste like a regular omelette or egg, but it didn't! I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think.

I used:
  • 8 egg whites for lasagna - please check my chronicle Testing Egg Whites for Lasagna so that you can see how I made them
  • 175 gr chicken breast or tenders
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 6 plum tomatoes
  • 1 large onion, divided in two
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 yellow bell pepper
  • basil


Lasagna layer - please check my chronicle Testing Egg Whites for Lasagna so that you can see how I made them


Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add chicken, tomatoes, 1/2 onion, garlic. Let it boil for 20 minutes. Remove every item and reserve. 


Remove every item when fully cooked and reserve. 


Chicken layer
Shred chicken: I place it in food processor and pulse for 3-5 seconds. 


Chicken comes out completely shredded.


Tomato sauce layer
Place 4 tomatoes, garlic cloves, 1/2 cooked onion with 1/4 cup of cooking water in a food processor and pulse until well combined. Add salt and pepper if needed.


Cheese layer
In a mixing bowl, add cottage cheese, dried or fresh basil, garlic powder and pepper.


Stir until fully combined.


Veggies layer
For the veggies, cut 2 tomatoes, 1/2 onion and bell peppers in julianne or any size you prefer and add them to a previously heated skillet. No oil added. Cover for 5 minutes and stir occasionally until fully cooked. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, but I had already prepared the veggies. It's very similar to this chronicle Spinach and Tomatoes.

So, we have all we need to assemble the lasagna. Preheat oven to 350°F.


Let us begin with placing sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. I used a bread one.


Place egg white layer.


Sauce again.


1/2 cheese layer.


1/2 chicken layer.


1/2 veggies layer.


Sauce layer.


Egg white layer.


Sauce layer.


1/2 chicken layer.


1/2 veggies layer.


Sauce layer.


Egg white layer.


Sauce layer and 1/2 cheese layer.


Cover in aluminium foil.


Bake for 20 minutes.


And enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment