8.20.2012

Braised Short Ribs


So, after I've been craving for beef ribs, I decided to make two recipes. I started with Ree's and they are really good! As she said, they are "heaven in a plate". I'm still pending on making my mom's recipe, and I have already bought those rib eye ribs too! Anyway, these ribs are really amazing, I'm not kidding. The hubs LOVED them, they are so soft, you can break the meat with your tongue. Really, you don't need your tooth. They are so full of flavor, amazing... I hope you give them a try and let me know how it goes.
I used:
  • 6 beef short ribs
  • sea salt and pepper to taste, fresh
  • 1/4 cup AP flour
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion
  • 20 baby carrots, or 3 carrots
  • 2 shallots, finely minced
  • 2 cups red wine
  • 2 cups beef broth, fat free and sodium-low
  • 2 sprigs thyme
  • 2 sprigs rosemary


Look at that Italian wine. 


Is it a sin to use it for cooking? I don't really know. I couldn't find the boxed wine I bought for cooking.


Start by chopping carrots and onion, and very finely chopping shallots (or mincing). Preheat oven to 350°F.

Let me tell you something. I don't have a Dutch oven, it's on my next shopping list. So I had to use two skillets. One cast-iron for the stovetop and one rotisserie pot for the oven.

Then, medium heat a cast iron skillet and add bacon.


While bacon is cooking, take the ribs and lay them on a flat surface.


Season with plenty of salt and pepper. I only seasoned one side. Reserve.


Place flour in a plate.


Cover the ribs with flour.


Remove bacon when fully crispy. If there's a lot of bacon fat, discard half.


Brown each side of the ribs...  


... for around 45 seconds each.


Reserve them on a plate.


Add chopped and minced veggies.


When softened, add red wine.


Boil mixture to a boil and cook it for 5 minutes.


Add chicken broth.


Now, place the ribs in the mixture, add cooked bacon, rosemary and thyme. Cover. I used aluminium foil. Here's where I changed it to a baking dish. Place in the oven for 2 hours and then low the temperature to 325°F and cook for 30 additional minutes.


Look at that. 2.5 hours later.


It was totally worth the waiting. I served it with French fries.


You can serve them with Mashed Potatoes.


Or by themself.


Look at that softness.


Yum!


Try it out and enjoy!



August 21st, 2012:
Jam Hands Linking to Jam Hands' Recipe Sharing Monday!

4 comments: