7.11.2012

Chicken'n'Meatloaf


So, I decided to make a meatloaf with beef and chicken, and because we all know a meatloaf has beef on it, then it's better I add the chicken prefix =) It's full of veggies, and guess what? It's also filled with cheese!!! Light cheese!!! Ok, cottage cheese. So, it's very tasteful,and best of all, it's very light.
Of course I prefer the original recipe for Meatloaf, but right now I can't eat that. I adapted the recipe with the food I can eat.
You will use:
  • 2 zuccinis
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 egg
  • 1 bell peppers (you can use whatever color you prefer, I used 1/3 pepper of each color)
  • 1 onion
  • 3 tomatoes (you will grate 2 tomatoes, the other one will be used for the glaze)
  • 1 jalapeño chile
  • 3 celery sticks
  • 8 Saladitas crackets or 4 tbsp bread crumbs
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 cup reduced-fat cottage cheese
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 lb ground beef (I use Sirloin, I recommend 90/10)
  • 3 lb ground chicken breast




In a food processor or with a grater, grate all the veggies and garlic.


Tomato and onion.


Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Place the crushed crackers or bread crumbs in a deep mixing bowl.


Add all the veggies. Reserve one tomato for the "glaze". Stir them all and reserve 1/4 of this mix. You will use 3/4 with the chicken breast, and 1/4 with the ground beef.


You will use 3/4 of the veggies/cracker mix with the ground chicken breast, and 1/4 of the mix with the ground beef. Add salt and pepper and stir with both hands.


Whisk the egg in a small cup.


Add 1/2 whisked egg to each mixture (chicken and beef).


Continue to stir with both hands until a dry-ish mix is formed.


Now, in a roasting dish or a meatloaf pan, covered in aluminium foil, form the meatloaf and remove one "channel" from the center.


Fill the channel with cottage cheese.


And cover again with beef and chicken.


Bake for 45-60 minutes. The original glaze I use is amazing, you can check it in my Meatloaf post. I tried to make a lighter glaze, so I didn't get a glaze but like a "sauce". It's ok, for now =) So, for the glaze I used the cumin, cinnamon and the remaining tomato in the mixer. Add a little Tabasco sauce or Valentina sauce if you'd like. 


Look at it after 30 minutes. Now, remove from oven...


...and brush glaze over the chicken'n'meatloaf. Place it in oven for another 15-30 minutes.


Ok, so I didn't get many pictures, but I can show you one slice of the "meatloaf" (I didn't get one of the chickenloaf)...


I hope you give it a try and you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment