3.01.2012

Amaranth Cookies


The Amaranth, the best food for human consumption, is the most complete vegetable. It is one of the main sources of proteins, minerals and natural vitamins (A, B, C, B1, B2, B3), folic acid (those trying to get pregnant! hear me out!), niacin, calcium, iron and phosphorus. Also, it has a high content of amino acids like lysine.
I usually add around 4 tbsp of amaranth to my cereal plate. I use it on burger patties (if I don't have, I use oatmeal). So now, I said, why wouldn't I try cookies? And I started looking for different recipes and comparing what they used. The recipe that cought my eye was Chocorrol's recipe. Of course, as I always do, I changed it, but there were (still are) so good! And here we go.

I used:
  • 2 cups popped amaranth
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter (180gr)
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips (use mini size)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup flour


Ok, first of all let me tell you about this butter. It's French and it's so good. So I used it for the cookies. It's so soft and creamy. What would this world be without butter??? I love it. Ask my husband's wallet. It will tell you. There's always butter at home. Salted and unsalted.


So, back to the recipe. Melt the butter and let it cool to room temperature. Beat with sugar until creamy and add the egg. Whisk for another minute until fluffy and then just fold chocolate chips in.


Now, add vanilla and flour...


... and mix.


Add amaranth.


And mix again. 


Place dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

 

After 30 minutes, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and remove dough from the fridge.


Make small dough balls in you hands and press them to create the cookie. Place them in a wax paper covered baking sheet.


Try to make them all the same size, at least for every different baking sheet. That way, they will all cook the same. Now, place them on the oven for 10 minutes.


Remove and let them cook completely. Try not to move them too much, because they will break.


They really are so good! Everyone that tasted them L-O-V-E them!










1 comment: