11.10.2011

Almond-ed Rice


I prepared this rice as a side for the Chicken in Mushroom Cream I prepared last night. I invented the recipe myself, in that moment. Another thing: It is not too salty because I didn't want it to taste more than the chicken, but you can add salt to taste.

So, basically, this recipe is the same recipe I use for regular rice... just added cinnamon, almonds and cranberries.

You will need:

  • 1 handful of almonds (I used toasted and salted)
  • 1 handful of dried cranberries
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 lemon's juice
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic (I used jarred)
  • 1 cup rice (I used regular white rice)
  • 1 tbsp Knorr's chicken broth bouillon
  • 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 cups of water



First, I wash the rice under cool water. Of course, drain it.


Now, in a small deep pot heat vegetable oil and add garlic. Immediatly start stirring the garlic and when it starts changing its color, add the rice.



Stir and fry rice. When it becomes white (not transparent anymore) it should look something like this:


Add 2 cups of water, cumin, cinnamon, chicken broth bouillon, salt, pepper, lemon juice. And stir.
Ok, you should be wondering... why does she uses LEMON JUICE?! I use lemon juice because of three reasons: 

  1. The rice won't have a lemon flavor, at all.
  2. It helps the rice to become "fluffy".
  3. It helps the rice grains not to stick together, to be appart one from each other.


Stir and bring it to boil.


When it starts boiling, lower the heat to medium-low and cover. Let it sit there and DO NOT STIR IT EVER AGAIN. 

In the meanwhile, cut the almonds. I could have used the food processor, but really, I didn't want to do more mess than necessary. So, I just cutted (see picture) in big pieces the almonds.

 



Then the cranberries.



Rice will start absorbing water. When you see that your rice looks something like this (you will see just a little bit of water still in those holes), it's ready to receive the add-ons: in this case, almonds and cranberries.


Just top it with the add-ons and cover it again. If you feel like it needs more water, dont hesitate and add 1/2 cup of more water. Under any circumstances: DO NOT STIR THE RICE. Cover it, and wait around 5 minutes. Remove it from heat, and leave it covered, so it will finish cooking in the steam (inside the pot). Wait around 10 minutes and serve.


Probably after serving you can stir it... haha, just kidding. The thing is, if you stir while cooking, it can break and won't cook evenly. 


As I said before, I served this rice with Chicken in Cream Mushrooms and salad.
For the salad I used lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, avocado, tomato, black olives, celery, fresh cheese and Ranch dressing.


Check out the recipe at Tasty Kitchen.





November 16: 

 Linked to Stacy's Linky Party

No comments:

Post a Comment